Today’s guest is someone I never would have met if it weren’t for Instagram. In fact, many of my guests I’ve connected to through this online community. I’m so grateful that we can use our ever-so-connectedness to facilitate real conversation and real connection with people I otherwise would have no idea were living by similar values and sharing familiar struggles.
I’m honored to have Stephanie Birch of @stephynow — yoga teacher, mama and seeker on the WELL / AWARE Show this week. I was initially drawn to Stephanie for her writing, all it takes is a quick scroll through her Instagram feed and you’ll see the depth, the rough and tumble, the good and the bad.
What might look like a pretty Instagram feed and well-practiced words is so much more than that. Stephanie used yoga to heal from serious depression, mostly post-partum, and shares with us how the practice, specifically connecting the movements to her breath, changed her life.
This episode is great for anyone going through some shit. Real stuff. Stephanie used yoga as a tool to get through serious post-partum depression, and much of her writing is inspired by the link of her practice and her life. It’s also ideal for anyone who wants tools to better understand your own tendencies.
- using yoga (or any form of mindful movement) as a tool to heal depression
- how she garnered a follow on Instagram
- what it’s like to have children when you’re specifically planning not to
- overcoming fears of success by getting out of your own way
- how to move trauma through the physical body with activity, and by allowing ourselves to feel
- how Stephanie eats to support her very active yoga practice
- the creative process as release, and writing “urges”
- the role of vulnerability in creativity
@stvntiller, her significant other who posts his gorgeous woodwork
passage I read from in the podcast intro
uncovering old wounds, a passage referenced mid-show
Stephanie’s book obsessions:
Anything by Eckhart Tolle
all photos from Stephanie’s Instagram account